Nina Munteanu has written and published novels, novelettes, short stories, creative non-fiction, general interest articles, science & nature articles, essays, non-fiction guidebooks and textbooks.
The following lists Nina Munteanu’s major publications to date. Her articles and essays also appear on the Internet in Amazing Stories, Scribophile, Europa SF Portal, Eco-Fiction, Dispatches from the Word Mines, Boldface, Science Borealis, Morgen Bailey, The Alien Next Door, The Meaning of Water, NinaMunteanu.ca, Ezine, Suite 101, A Hopeful Sign, Imagikon, Gotta Write Network, Strange Horizons, The Internet Review of Science Fiction, and various other blogs, ezines and websites.
■ FICTION: Short Form (Flash Fiction, Short Stories, and Novelettes):
- “Robin’s Last Song” in Apex Magazine, Issue 128 (Francesco Verso, ed) December 2021; reprinted in Apex 2021 Anthology, December 2022.
- “The Water Sprite” in Kawartha Lakes Anthology (Sara C. Walker, ed.), Autumn Issue, November 2021; reprinted in Polar Borealis (Graeme Cameron, ed), Issue #22, July 2022; reprinted in Love Letters to Water Anthology, (Claudiu Murgan, ed) Manor House Publishing Inc., November 2022.
- “l’Ultima Evocatrice” (“Summoning the Future’s Past”) by Delos Digital (Andrea Franco, ed; Chiara Beltrami, translator) April 2021.
- “Out of the Silence” in subTerrain Magazine, Issue #85 (Oliver Hockenhull, guest editor), May 2020; reprinted in A House of Dawn (edited by Oliver Hockenhull) February 2021.
- “Alien Landscape” in The Group of Seven Reimagined: Contemporary Stories Inspired by Historic Canadian Paintings, 1st edition (Karen Schauber, ed), Heritage House, October 2019
- “The Way of Water / La natura dell’acqua” in English and Italian in Future Fiction (Francesco Verso, ed, Fiorella Moscatello, translator) Mincione Edizioni, Rome, May 2016; reprinted in Cli-Fi: Canadian Tales of Climate Change Anthology (Bruce Meyer, ed) Exile Editions, May 2017; reprinted in Future Fiction: New Dimensions in International Science Fiction (Francesco Verso & Bill Campbell, eds; Future Fiction / Rosarium Publishing, Rome and Greenbelt, MD), April 2018; reprinted in Little Blue Marble Magazine (Katrina Archer, ed) January 25, 2019; reprinted in Climate Crisis Anthology (Katrina Archer, ed) January, 2020; reprinted in Metastellar Speculative Fiction and Beyond August 2022.
- “Fingal’s Cave” in The Megan Survival Anthology, (Ellen Michelle Koehler, ed) Reality Skimming Press, December 2016 (online) March 2017 (print); reprinted in Space Bound Anthology (J.E. Feldman, ed) Dragon Soul Press, November 2021.
- “Anonymous Tip” in Polar Borealis (Graeme Cameron, ed), Issue 2, Summer 2016
- “Henry” and “A Subtle Matter” in The Literary Connection, Anthology Vol I by IOWI, October 2014
- “Julia’s Gift” in Natural Selection, a short story collection by Pixl Press, 2013
- “Framed” in Natural Selection, a short story collection by Pixl Press, 2013
- “Neither Here Nor There” in webzine Another Realm, Sept 2005 Issue; reprinted in Natural Selection 2013; reprinted in Metastellar Speculative Fiction and Beyond March 2022.
- “Five Minutes” in webzine Justus Roux’s Erotic Tales, December 2004 Issue
- “Mark of a Genius” in webzine Scifidimensions, August 2004 Issue; reprinted in Natural Selection 2013.
- “A Butterfly in Peking” in Bram Stoker Award-winning webzine Chiaroscuro (Chizine),(Issue #17) July-Nov., 2003; translated into Polish and reprinted in Nowa Fantastyka (Poland) Summer 2005; translated into Greek and reprinted in The Dramaturges of Yann (Greece) 2006; reprinted in Natural Selection 2013; reprinted in Metastellar Speculative Fiction and Beyond November 2021.
- “Angel’s Promises” in Dreams & Visions, (Issue #30) March, 2003, and in GateWay-SF (Issue #8) Spring, 2004 (Issue #9 of GateWay’s website). Reprinted in Sky Songs II: Spiritual SF (an Anthology of short stories by Sky Song Press, Orillia, ON), March, 2005. 2004 SPECULATIVE LITERATURE FOUNDATION FOUNTAIN AWARD NOMINEE (for 2003); reprinted in Natural Selection: short story collection 2013
- “Virtually Yours” in Hadrosaur Tales, (Issue #15) December, 2002; reprinted in Neo-opsis Science Fiction Magazine (Issue #3) Spring, 2004. Translated into Polish and reprinted in Nowa Fantastyka (Jan 2006 issue). Translated into Hebrew and reprinted in Bli-Panika (Israel) in 2006. 2005 SPECULATIVE LITERATURE FOUNDATION FOUNTAIN AWARD NOMINEE (for 2004); PRIX AURORA NOMINEE (2004); reprinted in Best of Neo-Opsis Science Fiction Magazine Anthology (2006); reprinted in Natural Selection 2013; reprinted in Amazing Stories (Issue 88) April 2014; reprinted in Future Fiction 2016; reprinted in Speculating North (Issue #6) December 2021.
- “Arc of Time” in Armchair Aesthete, Summer/Fall 2002; reprinted in premiere issue of Ultra! (Aardwolf Publications), Fall/Winter, 2004; reprinted in SFera Online (2007); reprinted in Natural Selection 2013; reprinted in Metastellar Speculative Fiction and Beyond August 2021.
- “Angel of Chaos” finalist in SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS OF EARTH 2001 contest
■ FICTION: Long Form (Novels and Novellas):
- “A Diary in the Age of Water” (Inanna Publications and Education Inc.), June 2020. SILVER MEDAL for LITERARY TITAN AWARD 2020; BRONZE WINNER FOREWORD MAGAZINE’S BOOK OF THE YEAR 2020; Longlisted for MIRAMICHI REVIEW’S ‘VERY BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD 2020’; FINALIST INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARD 2021.
- “Metaverse” (Starfire), Book 3 of The Splintered Universe Trilogy, April 2014
- “Natural Selection, A Collection of Short Stories” (Pixl Press), April 2013
- “Inner Diverse” (Starfire), Book 2 of The Splintered Universe Trilogy, December 2012
- “The Last Summoner” (Starfire World Syndicate), July 2012
- “Outer Diverse” (Starfire World Syndicate), Book 1 of The Splintered Universe Trilogy, October 2011
- “Darwin’s Paradox” (Dragon Moon Press), November 2007. Nominated for AURORA PRIX, winner of READER’S CHOICE AWARD (MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW), READER’S CHOICE (DELTA OPTIMIST)
- “Angel of Chaos” (Dragon Moon Press), October 2010. Finalist of FOREWORD MAGAZINE’s BOOK OF THE YEAR 2010
- “The Cypol” (eXtasy Books). October 2006, Nominated for ECATA REVIEWERS CHOICE AWARD.
- “Collision with Paradise” (Liquid Silver books), April 2005 (www.liquidsilverbooks.com), Nominated for GAYLACTIC SPECTRUM AWARD. Re-released (eXtasy Books) in Spring 2013
■ NON-FICTION: Books
- “The Ecology of Story: World as Character” (Pixl Press). June 2019
- “Water Is…The Meaning of Water” (Pixl Press). May 2016. FIRST CHOICE BY MARGARET ATWOOD, NYT’s YEAR IN READING 2016.
- “The Journal Writer: Finding Your Voice” (Pixl Press). April 2013. Translated and published in Romanian by Editura Paralela 45, October 2012
- “The Fiction Writer: Get Published, Write Now!” (Starfire World Syndicate) May, 2009, NOMINATED FOR AURORA PRIX. Translated and published in Romanian by Editura Paralela 45, October 2011
■ NON-FICTION: Articles in Print Magazines and Anthologies
- “Why Eco-Fiction Will Save the World–from CliFi to Solarpunk” in Solarpunk Magazine, January 2022
- “Coming Home to the Credit River” in Peel Weekly News, September 2, 2021.
- “Why women will save the planet” in The Vancouver Sun, November 8, 2019
- “The Hero’s Journey In Story and Life” in Building Bridges Anthology (Immigrant Writers Association) edited by Gabriela Casineanu, October 2019
- “How Trees Can Save Us: Five Perspectives on Humanity’s Relationship with Our Forests” in Impakter Magazine, January 24th, 2019.
- “Should You Judge a Book By Its Cover?” in High Up, 2nd Edition (Macmillan Education Brazil), 2018
- “Coming Home to Water” in In the Moment (A Hopeful Sign) edited by Gary Doi, September 2016. Reprinted in The Earth We Love (Mississauga Writers) edited by Elizabeth Banfalvi, September 2018. Reprinted in The Literary Connection IV: Then and Now (IOWI) edited by Cheryl Antao Xavier, January 2019
- “In Search of a Life Story” in From the Heart (A Hopeful Sign) edited by Gary Doi, October 2015.
- “First Snow Fall” in Fly Like an Eagle (A Hopeful Sign) edited by Gary Doi, October 2014.
- “Follow Your Passion” in Inspiring Hope: One story at a time (A Hopeful Sign) edited by Gary Doi, 2013.
- “The Dog Who Looked Like a Cat” in Cats Magazine, February 2000.
- “Westham Island Pumpkin Frenzy” in Beautiful BC Traveller, fall 1997.
- “Orange Thumb Grows Grins” in Country Woman, Sept/Oct 1997.
- “A Week Around Cortes” in Pacific Yachting, May 1997.
- “Environmental Citizenship” in Shared Vision Magazine, May 1995.
■ AS EDITOR and/or WRITING COACH (Fiction, memoir, non-fiction)
- “In the Blood of the King, Chronicles of Langdon, Book 2” (Amazon) by JI Graham, 2022
- “The Gift: Wings of Prey” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, 2019
- “The Gift: Deadly Deception” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, 2019
- “Augment” by C.F. MacFarlane, August 2018
- “Zourazia’s Legacy II” (Eagle Publishing House), February 2018
- “Water” Anthology (Reality Skimming Press) edited by Nina Munteanu, December 2017
- “Beast Master, Chronicles of Langdon, Book 1” (Amazon) by JI Graham, May 2017
- “The Gift: Betrayal” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, November 2016
- “Zourazia’s Legacy” (Eagle Publishing House), October 2016
- “The Wild Boars” (IOWI) by Perparim Kaplani, May 2016
- “Rise Up” (Catch the Fire Books) by Michael Whate, March 2016
- “The Love Convention” (Eagle Publishing House), March 2016
- “The Queen’s Viper” (Aquhorthies Publishing) by Lesley Donaldson, January 2016
- “No Hope in Hell” (My Words Press) by Michael Kseizopolski, January 2016
- “The Literary Connection” Anthology Vol II, “My Canada” (IOWI), November 2015
- “The Gift: Penance” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, May 2015
- “Veil of Darkness” (Grimoire Books) by Tim Metivier, April 2015
- “The Literary Connection” Anthology Vol I (IOWI), November 2014
- “Snatched by the Devil” (Createspace) by Jeana Hawkins, January 2014
- “The Gift: Redemption” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, November 2013
- “The Gift: Revelation” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, June 2013
- “What Do You Mean I Was Adopted?” (Amazon) by Carina Burns, April 2013
- “The Gift: Awakening” (Friesen Press) by JP McLean, September 2012
■ SCIENTIFIC / SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS (SELECT EXAMPLES)
Munteanu, N. 2006. Fitness Indicators & Morphological Deformities of Benthic Invertebrates as an Assessment Tool in Ecosystem Health. In: Benthic Biomonitoring 2006, British Columbia Ministry of Environment and the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., July 25-26, 2006.
Munteanu, N. 2003. Contaminants & Migratory Fish. A seminar for the Environmental Contaminants and Traditional Foods Workshop, Kamloops, B.C. (Health Canada/First Nations & Inuit Health Branch), September, 23rd, 2003.
Munteanu, N. and G.P. Thomas. 2001. The Role of Disturbance in Lake Evolution and Implications to Restoration and Management. In 28th ATW Symposium, Winnipeg, October 2001. G3 Consulting Ltd. Richmond, BC.
Thomas, G.P. and N. Munteanu, 2000. Biological Community Assessment Program; Benthic Invertebrate and Periphyton Communities of the Columbia River. Prepared for Cominco Canada Ltd. G3 Consulting Ltd. Richmond, BC.
Thomas, G.P. and N. Munteanu, 1998. Environmental Effects Monitoring Program (EEM) Cycle Two; Williston Reservoir Design Report. Prepared for Fletcher Challenge Canada Limited, Mackenzie Pulp and Finlay Forest Industries Inc. 1998. G3 Consulting Ltd. Richmond, BC.
Thomas, G.P. and N. Munteanu. 1997. Benthic Community Populations near two adjacent northern pulp mill discharges. Wat. Sci. Tech. Vol. 35 (No. 2-3): 381-388.
Munteanu, N., 1992. A Review of the Limnological Impacts and Concerns Within the Greater Victoria Watersheds. A report prepared for the Greater Victoria Sewer and Drainage District. June. 1992.
Munteanu, N., 1989. Elk/Beaver Lake Watershed Study – Phase 1: Assessment of 1987-88 Survey. A report prepared for the Capital Regional District, Victoria, BC. 65pp.
Weigand, R. and N. Munteanu. 1989. Restoration of Chain Lake, BC. A report prepared for Inland Waters, Environment Canada, Burlington, Ontario.
Munteanu, N., 1987. Deer Lake Restoration – 1987. A report prepared for the Corporation of the District of Burnaby, Health Department, Burnaby, BC.
Austin, A. and N. Munteanu. 1984. Evaluation of changes in a large oligotrophic wilderness park lake exposed to mine tailing effluent for 14 years: the phytoplankton. Envir. Poll. (Series A). 33: 39-62
Munteanu, N. and E. Maly. 1981. The effect of current on the distribution of diatoms settling on submerged glass slides. Hydrobiologia 78: 273-282.
Updated November 2022